Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Come, All Ye Faithless

I took ENGL101 a year and a half ago, and today I found the journal where, at the beginning of each class, we wrote on a topic assigned to us. I read through it and was caught by what I wrote for this particular assignment. That particular day, the instructor read to us a rather dismal, slightly depressing poem, and we were told to pick a line that stood out to us and record our individual contemplations on that line. I picked this line "Come, all ye faithless" both because of its mockery of the Christmas hymn and because of its hopelessness. I ran out of time before I said everything I wanted to say, but this is what I wrote:

"Come all ye faithless." What is it to be faithless, to be without faith? What is faith? It is the belief in something, or someone, without proof, only trust. It is hope - but more than hope. Hope dreams, faith knows. Those who are without faith are of all people most to be pitied. Without faith, one cannot believe anything unless one has the evidence. What is a life that is based solely on fact? It is a life that has lost the joy of youth. The innocence of childhood has passed away from that life leaving it like the brown, wrinkled petals of a rose long dead. The one who lives without faith is doomed to live not at all. 

 "...faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen..." Hebrews 11:1

No comments:

Post a Comment